Want to be happy? Be grateful.
Here are 10 simple things I am grateful for that I usually take for granted. 5 about me and 5 about those around me.
- My life. I am glad to be alive! Without my life I would find most things difficult.
- My body. I used to be a lot heavier, with a BMI above 30. Thanks to some lifestyle changes, I am a fit and healthy 31 year old. I have all my limbs attached!
- My health. I have some very minor ailments, asthma and hay fever, but otherwise I am fit and healthy. I don’t regularly take medication. I like going to the gym, cycling, swimming and running, and generally finding our where my body’s limits lie.
- My senses. Taking and looking at photographs bring me great pleasure that I can do thanks to my vision, for which I need no glasses. I love the smells of soaps and candles. I love good food, and I love listening to music.
- My brain. I have a degree and am working towards my doctorate. I speak two languages and can get by in a third. I love solving puzzles and reading books.
- My wife. Isabel has been my partner for more than 12 years now, and she hasn’t tired of me, despite my best efforts. Together we have weathered many a storm, and come out the other side stronger than ever. She is a strong, beautiful, intelligent woman and I am grateful that the stars brought us together.
- My son. Lucas was born 12 weeks premature and spent 10 weeks in hospital before we could bring him home. He is now nearly 9 months old and is getting bigger and stronger by the day. He is also completely gorgeous. I miss him when I go to work. I love him even when he cries, and he makes me laugh every day.
- My parents. The cliché is true. The moment I became a father, I started to appreciate all the work my parents had done for me. They weren’t perfect, and neither will I be. But they did their best and worked their hardest, which is all you can ever ask.
- My house. Recently we were fortunate enough to buy our own home in which to raise our family. It’s a modest home, but we love it. It has enough space for our needs.
- My friends. We are blessed with some great friends who have brought us great joy and shared some wonderful times, and we look forward to more of them.